Libraries are places for everyone to use and enjoy. They’re our community centres, information hubs, space to learn or think and make ourselves feel better. That’s why - just as we’re committed to the provision of high quality leisure and fitness facilities – we’re equally committed to the provision of high quality library services and making them all-inclusive spaces.
We want to ensure libraries are developed in a way that means they stay at the heart of the community.
We want to provide welcoming library buildings with space to read, study and relax. There’ll be a wide range of books, e-books (and other material), leading ICT facilities and a wealth of community activities.
We aim to:
- Widen access and increase the use of libraries in the community
- Provide high-quality and relevant library services through continuous investment into both services and facilities
- Be flexible and innovative in our approach, tailoring the service to the needs of the community
- Ensure libraries play a key role in delivering Council targets for the benefits of the Council and its residents
- Take advantage of developing technologies.
Libraries for today
We believe a 21st Century library should provide:
- A wide range of books, e-books, CDs, DVDs and other resources
- Information on a broad range of topics
- Good access to information technology
- Space for study, relaxation and community use
- A programme of activities appropriate to the interests and needs of the local community.
If you’d like to speak to our libraries division about any new business opportunities, please get in touch >>